March 25 Regular Meeting Canceled
The morning of March 12, the OPCAAW Board of Directors learned the following:
- Ed Pretty, our demonstrator for the March 25 regular meeting and for two workshops scheduled for March 26 and 27, decided to cancel his trip to the area for those events.
- The Mount Vernon turners club canceled it’s one day workshop featuring Nick Agar.
- The Strait Turners decided to cancel their March meeting.
- Multiple local events are being canceled as community health professionals and organizations seek to reduce the chance of exposure in social settings.
As a result, the Board chose to cancel the March meeting. Efforts are being made to reschedule Ed Pretty for a meeting and workshops later in the year. Anyone who paid in advance for one of the Pretty workshops will receive a refund.
Our chapter of the American Association of Woodturners comprises more than 120 members of all skill levels from Kitsap, Mason, Jefferson and Clallam counties in Washington State.
Our more experienced members place a high priority on helping novice turners in a variety of ways including an official mentoring program, casual advice, and hands-on workshops.
Top regional turners such as Molly Winton, Stephen Hatcher, Art Liestman and Don McIvor and accomplished club members such as Tones Briggs, Norm Hix, Dan Marler and Brad Stave have conducted demonstrations at club meetings in the past few years.
The purpose of OPCAAW, as stated in our bylaws, is to:
- Promote the art and craft of woodturning in our community
- Conduct regular membership meetings with suitable programs, activities and demonstrations related to the woodturning craft
- Engage in other activities such as turning instruction or cooperative acquisition and use of the materials and tools for woodturning, and
- Maintain a lending library for members.